From our friends at Indivisible: "Normally, we try not to send too many emails each week, but zombie TrumpCare is back and we don’t have a lot of time to stop it. The latest bill (“Graham-Cassidy”) is just the Senate’s latest version of TrumpCare by another name: it destroys Medicaid, hurts those with pre-existing conditions, attacks women’s health, and much, much more.
Mitch McConnell is moving the bill quickly… mostly under the radar. And he’s almost got the votes. Graham-Cassidy was sent to the Congressional Budget Office last week for a score. But don’t be fooled, we won’t have a full score or understand exactly how many people this bill will hurt before it comes to a vote. McConnell is also whipping votes and rearranging the Senate calendar to make room for one final push before the rules of reconciliation expire on September 30th.
This is the biggest threat yet. Republicans who were a “no” vote last time around are wavering. Senator McCain has said he’d follow his Governor’s lead and, yesterday, Arizona Gov. Ducey came out in support of Graham-Cassidy. And Senator Collins of Maine, previously the most firm “no” vote, is still undecided, as is Senator Murkowski of Alaska.
How you can stop TrumpCare from a blue state.
Your tireless (and loud!) constituent power killed TrumpCare in July. And now, millions of people are depending on you to do it again. But if you live in a state with two Democratic Senators who oppose the ACA, you may be asking yourself: what more can I do? How can I influence persuadable Republicans in red states who may be on the fence?
Well, we have an answer! We’re bringing back the blue state/red state calling tool from the last healthcare fight.
Here’s how it works:
- Click here to sign up to make phone calls from our peer-to-peer dialing tool. You’ll get an email confirmation with a login, password, and URL to sign into our system. Once signed in, you can start making calls immediately -- and we’ll give you a script to make it as easy as possible!
- Next, you’ll call a voter in a key state with a swing Republican Senator. These folks are your friends—they attended the Women’s March, they’re standing up to #DefendDACA, and/or fight for progressive causes.
- You explain how they have power now. You’ll remind them why the continued fight against TrumpCare is so important—and why they have particular power in this moment.
- You ask them to use their power. You’ll ask them to call their senator in opposition to the bill, and to share their own reasons for opposing it.
- The tool connects them to their Senator’s office. The call tool will allow you to automatically patch them through to the Senators’ district offices.
It’s super easy: more than 1,000 Indivisibles in blue states made 100,000 phone calls to constituents in our target states in the final two days before the healthcare vote in July. And we won. We can win this time, too.
Sign up now to use our game-changing calling tool to help move Senators in key red states from the comfort of your home in a blue state. The call tool is LIVE! and you can start making calls immediately to residents in red states. Once you have a login, you can come back and make phone calls at your convenience from 9am to 7pm Eastern every day until we kill this bill.
Your support could help us make tens of thousands of calls in key states.
After you’ve made a phone call, we have one last ask.
We got a bargain price (13 cents per minute, per phone call) from the calling tool vendor, but in order to fund the hundreds of thousands of phone calls we need to make, it’s going to cost a lot of money. We’re trying to raise $30,000 to fund these calls targeted to residents in six key states: Alaska, Arizona, Maine, Ohio, Tennessee, and West Virginia, where the most persuadable Senate Republicans are.
If you can chip in just $26, you will fund 40 five-minute conversations between blue states to constituents in these six target states to emphasize the devastating impact TrumpCare would have and ask them to call their Senator on the spot. The last time we used this tool, it worked. We decided today to pull out all the stops once again and your support will allow us to fund thousands more constituents to pressure their Senators.
You’ve fought TrumpCare from the beginning, but now it’s really time to turn up the heat. From town halls in February recess to defeating it in the Senate in July, you’ve shown your constituent power at every step of the way. Republicans know that constituents don’t want TrumpCare to pass which is why they’re trying to pass this bill with as little attention as possible.
With your help, we won’t let them get away with it.
Thank you, as always, for fighting with us.